Sunday, January 18, 2015

Sunday, January 18, 2015

Yesterday, I spent the afternoon in the Basilica Cathedral.  I paid my S/.25 (read that as 25 Soles) and went in and found a guide speaking English and melded into the group.  At the second stop, the thunder started and the rain came down in torrents.  And no, it wasn't because I was in a church. It seems to storm at least once a day here.  I was very glad that I was inside at that point.

The cathedral was as beautiful as the ones I've seen in England, Spain and France.  The altars we highly decorated in gold and silver and the Choir was carved cedar wood for the seats and wall adornments. The artists found a way in all the carvings and paintings to depict a little of their culture into each piece, probably unknown to the Spaniards.  It seems that artists all over the world are a little rebellious in subtle ways. The cathedral itself has pawns along the roof line, as the king enjoyed the game of chess and asked the artist to include something to pay tribute to the game.

Today, I went back to the Plaza de Armas and watched the people for a while then met up with Sarah for lunch and a walk over to the San Pedro market.  What an experience that was!  The market had a little bit of everything: food stalls with small stools and tiny tables to eat at; loads of woven and leather goods; uncooked foods of all types including vegetables, fruits, meats and cheese.  Now, I would never buy meats or cheese at this kind of place since it's sitting out of refrigeration all day long, but it's certainly does entice all your senses - good and bad!

After the market, we walked around the San Pedro area and then eventually back to the apartment for some much needed refreshment of watermelon that we'd bought the other day at the market next to my house. It was so yummy!

Tomorrow I start my TEFL course. We've heard the first week is not too bad, but then watch out. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone and starting to learn more about teaching. I feel this is something I'm meant to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment