Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Tuesday, February 3, 2015

I have been sick for 3 days - travelers disease or food poisoning I think. Yesterday I was able to get myself to school to complete the 2nd mini-lesson, although I didn't get through it all due to my timing of the lesson.  The plan was good.  I have another mini-lesson on Friday morning.   Today, I thought I could make it, but multiple trips to the bathroom in the first hour told me otherwise.  Around mid-day, I finally asked to see the Dr.  He was here within 30 mins and the house call cost me $20!  Why can't our Drs do that anymore????  Anyway, he put me on an antibiotic to kill whatever bug got into me and another pill to help with the dehydration. I hope to feel better within 24 hours.  Unfortunately, I had to go out to get the medicine and some rice, crackers and electrolyte drinks to have. Not much of an appetite, but the liquid is good.

I have lots to do for this week and next and being sick is not helping me. I've only got 2 more weeks and I'm not sure I'm going to have time to go to Machu Picchu.  I may have to change my ticket by a few days to give me time to go. I can't be this close and miss it!  If I'd have known how crazy it would get with schoolwork, I may have gone earlier.

Oh well, plans can be changed, but I sure am looking forward to my own bed and a nice hot bath.  Drinkable water and being able to flush the TP down the toilet.  My apartment, while adequate is not really very nice.  The windows don't seal shut so the dust from the road comes right in.  Everything I own seems to be covered in a fine layer of dust. I guess I'm spoiled, because I can't wait to move out of here.

Dishes are another complexity. There is no running hot water in the sink and even if their were, it's not potable, so I wash the dishes and rinse them, then I boil a big pot of water to rinse them again. I'm not even sure if that cleans them thoroughly, but it's the best I can do given what is available.  Being sick I'm very down on how hard all of this is right now. I'm ready to come home.  I hope that I feel better tomorrow so that I can complete the journey on an up beat.

No comments:

Post a Comment