Saturday, January 17, 2015

Thursday, January 15, 2015

I signed up for the Tandem program with the school which means you meet with another student at the school who is learning English and you talk with one another for practice.  My Tandem partner is Jose Carlos.  He’s a Civil Engineer who wants to learn English for his career. He’s been doing a lot of work for road construction and buildings, but he really enjoys doing hydro-electric projects which his country really could take advantage of.  We’ve been meeting every day and this will probably continue throughout my stay here.

Yesterday Sarah and I went to the one and only mall in the city called Plaza Real.  It’s on the outskirts of the city. There are a number of stores in the mall and it looks very similar to any other big city mall – large anchor stores, smaller boutique stores, a food court and a movie theater (the only one in the city).  In addition, there is a large home improvement store and a huge supermarket where you can buy food, some clothing items, some household items and I even saw a mattress!


I was looking for things I couldn’t find in my more local “supermercado” like plastic wrap to store food, matches to light the stove (yup, it’s that kind of stove), and something other than canned tuna fish for protein.  The meat counter was very interesting and I was able to get a couple of photos before they told me that photos weren’t allowed.  Can you guess what is in these packages?



No comments:

Post a Comment